Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Random First List of home cookin' foods


I live in Colorado now, but grew up in East Tennessee, with views of the Smoky Mountains. I am proud of my ET cookin' heritage. I had two grandmothers who were absolutely the best cooks ever. My mom's cooking also can't be beat, and I have nothing but wonderful, savory memories of meals around our family dinner table, eating my mom's cookin'.   I wanted to start a blog that highlights all the cuisine I remember growing up with and learning to cook.  I am hoping that it might someday turn into something bigger than words on a blogpost, but for now, I"ll start here.

First, this is my 'off the top of my head" first foods I thought of when I think of 'home cookin.'

Country ham
Biscuits
Corn bread (hoe cakes)
Soup beans
Chow chow
Chicken and dumplins 
(potato dumplins--which might be unique to my husband's family)
Fried chicken
Biscuits and sausage gravy
Fried okra
Sweet tea
Homemade Pie
Stack cake
Creamed corn
Sausage biscuits
Tenderloin
Tomato biscuits
Tomato sandwich w/mayo
Fried bologna sandwich
Stuffed peppers
Sawdust salad
Jello salad
Ramps
Collard greens
Turnip greens
Killed lettuce



What are the foods that remind you of 'them thar hills?'


3 comments:

  1. Okay, what is "sawdust salad"? Or "killed lettuce"? I have to admit that despite having grown up in West Virginia, I am unfamiliar with a lot of these things (stack cake?) and many of the ones I *do* know about, I learned about when I was older and away from home! My grandmother did make green beans cooked for hours (days?) on the back burner, with lots of salt and pepper and a ham bone. :) But now that I've read your list....I'm starving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sawdust salad is a jello salad made with sour cream and cheese and I forget what else. Killed lettuce is basically lettuce sauteed on the stove in grease. I am learning that stack cake (apple stack cake) is actually quite native to the area I was raised in. It is a 6-8 layered spice cake with apple butter or applesauce spread between the layers, often mixed with molasses (both the batter and the apple spread). I will blog about each of these in turn, if I can manage to keep up with this new blog idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I read about stack cake, it often replaced a wedding cake. Each guest would bring a layer to the wedding, and apple butter or preserves would be spread between the layers as the cake built up. The higher the cake, the more popular the couple!

    ReplyDelete