Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Country Ham Biscuits and Red-Eye Gravy





I used to think the name 'red eye gravy' was a funny name. It was always served in conjunction with country ham and biscuits and tasted delicious.  Country ham is ham that is generally salt-cured for a few months, though sometimes the prep depends on the region of the south you are from. Where I am from, salt-cured hams are called country hams and they are known for their very salty taste. The meat is best served with (or on) buttermilk biscuits. And often red-eye gravy is served alongside, which is the pan drippings mixed with black coffee.

Eating a ham biscuit is one of the true joys of Appalachian mealtime. Ham biscuits are eaten for any meal of the day and are always delicious.  Country ham (salt-cured ham) is fried till done in a frying pan and cut up into pieces to fit on the biscuits.  Nothing else is needed on the biscuit to make it delicious but the red-eye gravy might be a nice 'dipping sauce' of sorts if the ham biscuit seems too dry.

Another way I love to eat country ham is on two slices of toasted white bread, slathered with mayonnaise.  The country ham sandwich is a true Appalachian delight, probably the best sandwich you will find anywhere.  You can add lettuce or tomato if you want, but truly the ham and mayo between toast is all you need.

I remember eating country ham sandwiches so often growing up. My paternal grandfather, Pa Wilder, would kill hogs to get the meat.  I remember when it got really cold for the first time in the winter it would be 'hog-killin' time,' time to slaughter the hogs and cure the meat.  All winter, then, we would have country ham, pieces of tenderloin, fresh sausage, bacon, and so on.  Every time it gets cold for the first time now, I still think to myself 'it's hog-killin' time.'

If I were making country ham today, here in Colorado, I usually have to buy it at Cracker Barrel to get the most authentic tasting ham.  I do sometimes buy ham slices at the store and fry them, but they don't taste quite as good as the authentic ham at Cracker Barrel. It is really easy to fry up some ham and put it between some buttermilk biscuits.  But, I honestly think I prefer the country ham sandwich for a true taste of home.



No comments:

Post a Comment