Thursday, September 4, 2014

Mountain Dew Jello Salad.... how southern is that????

When I was a kid, an onslaught of different jello salads appeared at church potlucks and family dinners. Everyone, it seemed, brought at least two dishes.  A jello salad and something else...
In fact, in terms of potluck etiquette, my grandmother once told me you should bring one dish for each person who is attending with your family. So if my whole family went, then my mom should bring four dishes.  Wow.  I honestly must admit that I do fall into that trap of thinking I, too, must do that even now.  Bring an equal number of people and dishes.  But almost no one brings a jello salad to any potlucks that I have been part of in recent years.  Why? When did jello go out of style?


Granted, it isn't really in a food group, per se, and I'm not even sure it is IS food, but nothing is more comforting than jello.  And one of my favorite jello salads when I was a kid was this one that had Mountain Dew in it.  So, I looked through a bunch of my old cookbooks and ran across this beloved, amazing jewel of a dessert.  What decadence! I may have to prepare it tonight... It would sure make tomorrow something to write home about!



Mountain Dew Salad

2 boxes lemon jello (small)
1 c. hot water
2 c. Mountain Dew
2 c. miniature marshmallows
1 med. size can crushed pineapple, drained
2 or 3 bananas

Mix jello with hot water. Add Mountain Dew and pineapple. Fold in bananas and marshmallows. Chill until firm.

Topping:
1 pkg. instant lemon pie filling, prepared
2 c Cool Whip

Mix well and spread on jello.


Ohmygod.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, indeed! Jello salad is pure nostalgic food. There's always room for Jello.

    ReplyDelete